Monday, December 03, 2007

Lessons in Obedience: Ballroom Dancing


For the past two nights, I have found unspeakable joy in the steps and turns of ballroom dancing. I realized my love for it last weekend in Pittsburgh, and made a point to seek out opportunities in Bloomington.

Honestly, I have a lot to learn. Although I am decent at following, the whole experience these past evenings have given me a lot of humility. I don't know the steps, I don't know the moves, I don't know the leadings. I am at the mercy of my partner, and all I can do is listen to what he says, and try my best to follow through. And you know what? This control freak of a woman loves it. I have never felt so much joy in an activity I wasn't good at :) And despite the multiple errors, it makes me want to go back for more. I want to learn the combinations correctly. I want to be so in tune to the promptings of my partner that I gracefully flow wherever he leads.

I have been learning a similar lesson in submitting my life to the total control of Jesus Christ. Only difference is that when I take a wrong step, make a wrong turn...when I sin...my initial response is not to go back to Him and ask him to show me the proper way. I run away, like Cinderella from the ball, knowing that I have been exposed as a fraud...or at least, that's how it feels.

Last weekend, I was caught between the fear of the Lord and the fear of rejection. In the warring of flesh and spirit, the strength to prevail caved from under me and I dropped back into the abyss that has often sent my soul into a spiral of shame, self-hatred, and desperation.

It's an awful place to be, fully recognizing who we are as imperfect humans, the holiness of God, and yet unfortunately forgetting the paradox that occurs when those two truths collide. As a Christians, I am called new creations, and yet I find my way back into the same awful patterns I am supposed to have broken. Sara Groves describes this in her song "Painting Pictures of Egypt". In a sense, I continually look back at my personal Egypt, forgetting the hell from which I was saved and longing for the momentary comforts that eased (but never extinguised) the pain.

But sometimes the knowledge of what is good and bad is not the difficult part. It is when I know what is wrong, and yet go toward it instead of turn away.

Obedience. This is the most difficult lesson, at least for me. To not only say, "No" but to also walk away. It does no good to yell at the lion waiting at the door, ready to devour. God calls me to master it. But right now, I can't seem to tame my lions, my demons. So what do you do if a hungry lion is running toward you and you haven't yet taught it to heel?

Run, and avoid it like the plague.

But what happens when you don't obey? In my case, I start spiraling into an abyss of comparison, shame, and despair. Others around me seem to trip up and learn right away. But I seem to make the same mistakes over and over and over. It's almost like I need lesson after lesson after lesson. And that is frustrating! Why can't it I get it on the first try??

Baby steps. Each lesson is a baby step. And just like dancing, in each lesson you learn something new. It would be ridiculous to assume that after one lesson, be it dancing or battling sin, we would learn all the tricks, all the moves, all the turns, all the dips, and do it flawlessly when the time called for it. Any task must be tackled slowly at the learners pace. Step by step. Victory by victory.

Occasionally, I am frustrated that I do not catch on as quickly as the others on the dance floor. And sometimes I have to sit out a dance or two, and just watch how it is done. Eventually I will learn, but I have to decide to stay in the dance, to be led, and to follow my partner's promptings. I'll learn nothing if I run out of the ball.

And eventually I will have victory over the sin in my life. As long as I seek to learn the steps, allow Christ to lead me, and become more in tune with the Holy Spirit's promptings, I will learn.

We can't give up. Giving up means there is no hope, that there is no chance to turn back. But you only run out of chances when you run out of life. If you are breathing, there is hope. As Sofia said in Vanilla Sky: Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

I choose the under arm turn, myself :)

No comments: