Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The War Still Rages


Today's blog will be my stream of thinking, with one purpose: illumination, praise, and trembling. Okay, three purposes. Wow, what a Monty Pythonism...

There is a war brewing beneath our noses. One that has been fought since the beginning of time, and won't end until the last trumpet (no fat lady...sorry). As the casualties of Iraq continue to climb, the casualties of this war soar with it. And beyond it. You've heard it titled "The Battle of Good and Evil." How cliche. There isn't even room for the amount of downplaying that causes. And even if I were to have the miraculous language to come up with a better name, the severity of this war could still not be captured.

Heaven and Hell are continuing to battle it out. There is still a fight for souls. And every other war term is applied. There are MIA soldiers, those who enlisted in the King's battle and have now disappeared. There are POWs, men and women taken captive by the demons and tortured to release their alliance. This could become very righteous sounding, so let me get to the reason why I felt the need to write this blog.

I had the priveledge to tell one of my sisters in Christ that she was paid in full to go on a missions trip with us this spring break. She had placed her trust in the Lord for providing a financial giant, and He pulled thru BIG TIME. The Holy Spirit recalled the Scripture verse that says, "How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who announces peace and brings good news of happiness, who announces salvation, and says to Zion, "Your God reigns!" (Isaiah 52:7) Now, obviously the TRUE good news is the saving atonement of Jesus' Christ, who died on the cross to cover the sins of all those who would believe and accept his atonement. But I was so happy and felt so honored to be able to say with confidence, "Your God Reigns!! He has provided for you to serve Him in Philadelphia! He does listen to our prayers!!!"

And then the battle began. Seconds after this shout of victory, I was facing a terrible defeat from the past. I saw how months before I had fallen hard, how I had failed. I immediately saw myself as unworthy, as wretched, as someone who could not be used after abusing the grace given to her by her Lord and Savior. My soaring spirit plummeted into the depths of despair.

This is the battle we face. When the Lord moves, so does the Enemy. Satan fights, his sole purpose to steal, kill, and destroy. There is no mercy. There is no temperment. He cannot be reasoned with. His mission is to destroy the kingdom of God and all those who allign themselves with the King. And when He sees victory, He will try harder to accomplish his endevors. This is our battle.

I think the reason Satan fights so hard is because he knows he is going to lose. Satan fell because of pride. He knows he is no match for the King. Ultimately, the Lord will have victory in the end. And Satan will take as many as he can with him. I cannot allow myself to see past failures as greater than present glories! The end is already decided. The Lord will win. There should be comfort in that. There IS comfort in that.

Do not allow Satan to distract you with forgetfullness of present blessings or too MUCH rememberance of the past. Remember the past, yet see the victory the Lord has claimed despite our defeats. Where there is a Jericho, there is an Ai, but we are always led by the Lord into victory. Ultimately, it is Him who fights for us so He is glorified, not our fighting for Him to be glorified.

Oh, and by the way: cherebs are NOT cute little babies with tiny wings and dimples. They are the WARRIORS of God, the guardians of the gates of Eden with flaming swords, and the Lord is enthroned above them in the Old Testament sanctuary layouts. UGH!! Stupid Hallmark. I had to get that off my chest.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing."
(2 Timothy 7-8)

2 comments:

saraspeaks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
saraspeaks said...

elise, i needed to read this so much! really. really really.
thank you.