Thursday, June 28, 2012

encourage each other

I'm reflecting on an interesting phenomenon in adulthood. There comes an age where we have the expectation that other adults around us should always know the "correct" thing to do. That we should not make mistakes, and if we do make mistakes, that is a sign of our ignorance or incapability. I find this strange. 

When a child is learning how to walk, the adults nearby are clapping, hooting, hollering with joy. If the child falls down, the adults gasp in horror. They sooth the child. They check for scraps or bruises. They cheer the child on to try again. Some may even have the child hold onto their fingers and walk with the child. This is a beautiful scenario. No one expects a child to immediately start walking without a hitch on the first try. And if you did voice that opinion, I assure you, you'd have every mother glaring at you with a glare only mothers can give. 

I feel like we lose this empathy and understanding with adults. When we see an adult take a new job, volunteer position, extra-curricular activity, do we assume that this person should just "walk" into the situation without fumbling or stumbling around a bit? Worse yet, do we wait for them to fall, and instead of gasping and giving them a helping hand, laugh to ourselves and then chatter about it with those around you? 

Brothers and sisters, I am speaking to myself as well. Let us come alongside those who are around us and ask how we can help. Show them the steps. Gasp when they fall. Check to see if they're hurt, and then help them to their feet to try again. Let us not engage in whispers of judgement, but instead shout encouragement loudly from the rooftops! 

Encourage one another as long as today is called "Today" so that your hearts do not become calloused. For as Maya Angelou said, "I did the best I could, and when I knew better, I did better."


No comments: