Friday, June 24, 2011

I can't figure out how to solve world poverty


"I want to solve world poverty...that's going to take a while."

Chris says that is what I say to myself when I desire to do good in the world. And the effect paralyzes me from doing anything at all.

I guess that includes sleep.

I laid in bed continuing to think about this thing called "story." An acquaintance of mine is changing the scenery of her story and is spending the rest of her summer in Chiapas, Mexico. I am not envious of her being there, but envious of her spirit. To get up and go would be a marvelous adventure. But where am I to get up and go?

I want to get up and go to my own backyard. I want the lives of the kids I work with the change. I want to give them an opportunity to become heroes (maybe it's because I want to feel like one, too?)

So I started brainstorming on what would be possible. If their world vision changed, maybe they would change. Minds shift as our worldview shift. We are changed through challenge, through struggle, through excitement of victory. What if I had them choose a goal that made a difference in someone else's life? Would their life change then too, even just 1 degree, if they knew they were changing the life of someone else?

So I've ordered 5 catalogs from World Vision...that's about all I can do right now at 3:17am. The end of world poverty may have to wait, but it can at least begin.

My heart is on fire. Lord, show me the way when the smoke clears...

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Um.....

HOW DID I NOT KNOW YOU HAD A BLOG?!?!?!?!

If nothing else, flashback Friday is totally worth it to now have this information. :)

Elise said...

I will try to understand Flashback Friday, and now I'm nervous what you mean by "now that I have this information..." sounds sneaky :)