Sunday, February 03, 2008

Jesus, the Wimpy Shepherd?


There's a song I love called "Someone to Watch Over Me." My favorite lyric says, "I'm a little lamb who's lost in the woods; I know I could always be good to one who'll watch over me." Thing is, when I think of these lyrics, I think of myself first: the poor little lamb crying "help me" in the big dark woods. Rarely do I consider the one whom I'm singing about, whom the song is written for: the one who will watch over me.

I do the same thing when I think about Jesus as my shepherd. I think more on the fact that I am a lost sheep, wandering, stupid, and helpless. Even when I read Psalm 23, I think more about myself than whom the Psalm was written for: God, Jesus as the Good Shepherd.

Sermons I remember tend to emphasize how we are sheep, and we need a shepherd. They go on and on about the parallels between people and sheep, and then wrap up the message saying, "And that's why Jesus is our shepherd. Follow Him." But it's always the culmination point, never the whole point.

Today's sermon was different, though. Finally! I finally found myself looking at John 10 and Psalm 23 with one purpose: who is this Good Shepherd? Why does He call Himself the good shepherd? And why a shepherd? It has to be more than just because people are stupid sheep...

I'm not going to rehash the whole sermon. You can visit www.eccbloomington.org and find the webcast for February 3rd (I think we do webcasts...). But one part of Jesus' character struck me that hadn't before: shepherds are warriors, and they fight for their sheep.

I've always thought of shepherds as leaders: calling the sheep to follow, making sure they don't wander off, and then going to find the lost ones. I mean, this is what is described in Psalm 23:1-3, green pastures, still waters, paths of righteousness. And all the while, I have this string orchestra theme song playing in my head, like you'd find in Little House on the Prairie. Everything's serene and peaceful, and every once in a while, Jesus gives a little chuckle at how silly his sheep can be.

But then Bob (our senior pastor) talked about the instruments a shepherd would carry. Psalm 23:4 says that "Your rod and your staff comfort me." Usually I picture this as two big sticks. But Bob explained that a rod was a long stick with a hook to bring the back wandering sheep. Nothing new to my peaceful scenario.

But then he talked about the staff. This isn't like Gandalf's staff. It's a short stick with a nob at the end and sharp pointy things sticking out. This is what the shepherds would use to kill whatever might be attacking the sheep. Bob then reminded us of King David of the Old Testament, another shepherd, who killed a wolf, lion, and bear (oh my!) with his rod. I mean, that's pretty tough! I'm not even sure I could do that with a shot gun, let alone be in arms reach to cobbler the head of a animal trying to kill me.

Honestly, I forget that Jesus fights for me. I see Him usually as the one ahead of me saying, "Here Elise, this way. No no, not there...over here." I see Him calling me away from danger, not fighting it off. What a docile Jesus I have formed in my mind! If only I could see Jesus as Revelation describes Him, with all the victorious and somewhat gory detail. But at the same time not lose His gentleness and love.

I think the best way I've seen this captured so far (aside from Scripture) is in the movie Narnia when Aslan first appears. I don't know about you, but I always wonder what the voice of God sounds like. Well, so far, I choose Liam Neelson. He captures the essence of authority and tenderness so well. When Aslan first speaks, you can't help immediately respect, revere, and yet want to give the lion a hug (okay, maybe that's just me). I wanted to post the video, but YouTube said no. But I encourage you to watch the movie or click the link and you can see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdT7CHdmWco

We are lost sheep, but more importantly, we have a Good Shepherd. A Warrior Shepherd. One of holiness, tenderness, and vicious courage. He is our leader, provider, and protector. I'll leave you with Psalm 23. Please pray that the Holy Spirit would reveal to you God's character rather than what we get.

He is the one who watches over me.

1The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
2He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
3He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
6Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

No comments: