Friday, November 17, 2006

Red Sky at Morning


Ever heard the phrase, "Red sky at night, sailors' delight; red sky at morning, sailors take warning?" Well, Jesus apparently knew it back 2000+ years ago (see Matthew 16:3). It's 9:20am, and I think I see a red sky. Okay, metaphorically speaking. So I should take warning. A storm might be coming. But I shouldn't be anxious or worried.

Right.

Anxiety and worry are two issues Jesus addresses in Matthew 6. My pastor suggests that anxiety and worry are founded in a lack of faith, and to lack faith in Jesus is sin. That was harsh when I heard that, especially as I have a lot of puzzel pieces missing regarding my life. Or at least they're invisible to me right now.

But I have been mulling over the idea of storms and faith, and the following verses have helped me find rest in Jesus amid the storm. So here they are. Be encouraged, and remember: The Lord is like Allstate: You're in good hands :)

THE STORM
Then he [Jesus] got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. (Matthew 8:23-4)

THE REACTION
The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" (Matt. 8:25)

JESUS' ACTIONS
And He got up and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, "Hush, be still." And the wind died down and it became perfectly calm. (Mark 4:39)

JESUS' PROMISE
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell--and great was its fall." (Matthew 7:24-27)

JESUS' QUESTION FOR US
He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" (Mark 4:40)

No comments: