Thursday, October 05, 2006

Why I should go to Australia


If you ever have egotistical moments like me, every once in a while you'll google your name. I used to have pictures on google, but they have sadly been taken down (too deep into newspaper archives I guess).

Today, I decided to look up Hindmarsh for the umpteenth time. See, as weird as my name is, its surprisingly popular over in Australia. I know I have family there. How they got there I'll never know. Although I bet it had something to do with the shipment of English prisoners to Australia back in the day. See, the Hindmarsh name is English (not German) and apparently I had quite a few outlaw ancestors. No wonder I have a rebellious streak. Anyways, yeah, we're pretty popular over in Australia.

SO popular, that there is a stadium named after us.

That's right, people. If you go to South Australia, you can visit Hindmarsh Stadium, one of the locations of the Sydney Olympics in 2000. With a capacity of 16,500, this stadium was renovated for the Olympics and is the home of Southern Australia soccer. Overall, visitors rate it above average. For more information and pictures, you can visit http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=54.

So yeah, add South Australia to my places I'd like to go before I die. Hang out with the kangaroos, play with a koala, and see a soccer game in my stadium. Sounds like a plan :)

No comments: