Sunday, July 02, 2006

fight or flight?


When is it appropriate to stand up and fight, and when is it time to just run for your life?

This is a topic I have been mulling over my brain. My inferiority complex says that I should always choose fists over feet, and that I need to assert myself to gain victory. Sadly, a number of white flags have resulted in such brave stances.

When did it become cowardice to run? Why are you called a chicken for not wanting to fight someone who may very well break your face? Let's look at this logically. By running, you save your face and whatever other bones might have been broken, and you get away from the guy (sorry if I'm being sexist). I think the only thing you might lose is your pride (which hurts for sure), but at least your safe.

My friend Danae once told me that she thinks the Lord is more impressed with the ability to run from dangerous situations than to stand and face them. As Christians, we do need to stand firm in our faith, but we may need to run from the battles that have the tendency to compromise our faith. The Bible does say to "Flee from youthful lusts..." Not "See how close you can get without falling".

I've been reading through Exodus, and just finished the Israelites crossing the Red Sea. Background: After a series of plagues, the Lord enables Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt by parting the Red Sea, Pharaoh pursues to put them back in captivity, and then Moses closes the Sea, totally wiping out the Egyptian army.

Look at the Scripture just following the miracle: "But Moses said to the people, 'Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the Lord which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever. The Lord will fight for you while you keep silent." (Exodus 14:13-14, NASB)

No where does the Lord say, "Okay Jews. The Egyptians are coming to put you back into slavery. Now, turn around and fight!" Instead, he says, "Why are you crying out to Me? Tell the sons of Israel to go forward." (Exodus 14:15, NASB)

I know my situations which pursue to enslave me, to take me away from serving the Lord (which was the purpose of the Israelites leaving Egypt). My response is usually to fight within the situation, and prove that I am capable of having victory, that I am a conqueror in Christ! But if I never give the enemy the chance for victory, then I already won. Plus, it's really not even my battle. The battle belongs to the Lord. Vengeance against Satan, demons, my lustful thoughts and desires, is the Lords. Even continuing to cry about the perilousness of the enemy isn't my job. I need to move forward in the opposite direction*, and pray and trust the Lord will fight for me in my silence, destroying them completely. Salvation belongs to our God who sits upon the throne.

We must be ready to take a stance for Christ...but sometimes, we must be ready (and willing) to run.

*Note: It's interesting that the Lord says to move forward. If find that the sin that enslaves me finds its origins in the PAST in the OLD self. So of course we MUST move forward to get away from our pursuers. Tis cool.

No comments: